Do Stuffed Kongs Really Help Your Dog?
We LOVE stuffed Kongs at Canine to Five! We always recommend them for dogs during doggy daycare, dog grooming, overnight dog boarding, and at home. Kongs are hollow rubber toys that can be stuffed with all sorts of yummy treats (our favorite is frozen peanut butter!). Giving one of these toys to your dog during moments when they are otherwise bored, anxious, or stressed, can help keep them calm, entertained, and out of trouble.
So yes! Stuffed Kongs really do help your dog, and here is why:
- Love to Lick! – Did you know? Licking is naturally soothing for dogs. Giving them a stuffed Kong or lick mat while they are anxious or stressed can help them relax. This is especially helpful when your dog is home alone and/or crated.
- Dogs are Natural Chewers – Even past their puppy stage, dogs love to chew. Without a proper outlet, they’ll chew on your shoes, table legs, kid’s toys – you name it! Giving your dog something appropriate to chew on can help curb those unwanted behaviors, and help soothe teething puppies.
- Will Work for Food – Dogs love having a job to do, and giving them the opportunity to get every last lick of food out of their toy is probably their favorite job to have. In addition to using Kongs as treats, you can mix your dog’s breakfast or dinner with some applesauce, freeze it, and give it to them at meal times. This keeps them busy for longer periods of time, and can even help with weight management.
- Boredom Can Be Destructive – We all know what a bored dog looks like – excessive barking, chewing, digging, and all around mischief! Keeping your dog constantly stimulated, both mentally and physically, can be an entire job in itself depending on your pup. But with zoom calls, office meetings, and 12 hour shifts, not every pet parent can feasibly dedicate their days to occupying their dog. Doggy daycare is perfect for pet parents who work or go to school and need this outlet for their four-legged friend. If daycare isn’t in the cards, stuffed Kongs are the next best thing. Barking? Stuffed Kong. Chewing? Stuffed Kong. Digging? You guessed it – stuffed Kong!
If you know your dog regularly gets breaks at Canine to Five, whether it’s for nap time at dog daycare, waiting to be picked up from dog grooming, or spending the night in dog boarding, we highly recommend adding on a stuffed Kong to help them feel more relaxed. We offer peanut butter and pumpkin stuffed Kongs for just $4 each, or you can purchase a package of 10 for just $30! Purchases can be made in person, or online through your customer portal.
Interested in sending your dog to daycare? Here’s what you’ll need to start:
- Your pup must be at least 12 weeks old
- They must have their DHPP, Lepto, Bordetella, and Rabies vaccines (Rabies by 18 weeks old for puppies)
- Puppies over 9 months old must be spayed/neutered to participate in our pack-style environment; Unaltered dogs may continue to join us for Private Play
If your dog is eligible to start, click here to fill out our new client inquiry form and our Canine Concierge will get in touch with you to go over next steps!